I’ve been kind of obsessed with chia as of late – can you tell?! I just realized I’ve been cha-cha-chia-ing-it-up on the blog a lot and really, can you blame me? Chia is wonderful!
As a follow up to my recent Mango Chia Jam, I decided to use this wonderful fibre rich seed with mashed cherries to make a Cherry Chia “Jam” I could layer between oats, almond butter, and creamy coconut milk!
Overnight oats are one of my favourite breakfast recipes to give clients who are NOT morning folk. The clients that roll out of bed at the very last minute, rush around their house in a frenzy, and head out the door to work without grabbing a single bite of breakfast… you know who you are, hehe!
Why do I give them these recipes? Because they require ZERO morning preparation time! All the prep, which is very little, is done the night before, and the magic happens all on its own in the fridge!
With the right ingredients, Overnight Oat recipes come together in a jiffy providing a healthy balance of complex carbohydrates for morning energy, healthy fats, and blood stabilizing protein! The perfect breakfast that beats any fast-food breakfast sandwich (or worse… bagel/muffin/pastry!) out of the park when it comes to nutrition!
I’ve been getting my fill of fresh cherries (’tis the season!) and figured it would be criminal not to include them in an overnight oats recipe on the blog.
I decided to keep it simple with quick oats, vegan protein, cherries, chia seeds, almond butter, almond milk, coconut milk, and a teeny bit of stevia for that added sweetness.
The combination of juicy, sweet, fresh cherries, nutty almond butter, and creamy coconut created a flavour that would get anyone moving in the morning with a smile on their face. Not to mention the fact that the fibre packed chia seeds also get “other things” moving in the morning, if you know what I mean, so really, it’s a win-win!
Have you made Overnight Oats before? What ingredients are your favourite? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below!
- 6 tablespoons quick oats, divided
- ½ scoop vanilla vegan protein powder, divided (optional)
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk, divided
- ¾ cup cherries, pitted
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk (optional, from the can - you can also use additional almond milk)
- liquid stevia, vanilla (optional)
- In a small bowl, add the cherries and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds, mash slightly, and stir in the chia seeds, add in a few drops of stevia, and set aside to thicken.
- In a small jar add 3 tablespoons of oats, 1 tablespoon of protein powder (if using), ¼ cup of almond milk, and a few drops of stevia, if using.
- Add in ½ of the chia jam by layering over the first oat layer.
- Add in another 3 tablespoons of oats, 1 tablespoon of protein powder (if using), ¼ cup of almond milk, and a few drops of stevia.
- Layer in a tablespoon of almond butter, then the other half of the chia jam, and drizzle over the coconut milk.
- Close the jar and place in the fridge overnight. In the morning, remove from the fridge and enjoy with a spoon!
Oh, also, don’t forget to mark your calendars…my next NITK Guides Series guide, the Meal Planning Guide is available this Sunday!!
- 12-pages on NITK’s practical and realistic method to healthy meal planning
- Steps on how to create well balanced meals and snacks for your personal meal plan
- A printable Meal Planner Template for a weekly meal plan, prep plan, and groceries
- Tips, tricks, and ways to overcome the “too busy” excuse
- Links to awesome NITK Recipes
It’s definitely a guide to get if you struggle with meal planning and really want to learn how to be a Master Meal Planner!
Have a lovely Thursday!
Nutritionist in the Kitch