Blender soup is seriously the best. It’s SO easy, and honestly, I find it fun.
I find all cooking fun really, but there’s something about not caring if the onions are cut perfectly because it’s all getting pulverized into a smooth, creamy, dreamy, soup in the end! I’ve never been a fan of cutting onions, so I do it as fast as I literally can without chopping my fingers off!
This version of blender soup is similar to the Vegan Borscht I made a little while ago, but I adapted this one right off the Vitamix website! But don’t worry, any blender will work for this … OR, if you enter today’s giveaway you might just win a Vitamix OR a Stand Mixer, Juicer, or Food Processor (yes, ALL up for grabs with todays giveaway – see link at the end of the post!!)
I took the original recipe and lightened it up a little, swapping out full fat coconut milk and cream for the lighter coconut milk! I also added some Red Thai Curry paste to bring in some extra heat and those amazing Thai flavours like galangal and lime leaf!
This soup is rich, velvety, and filling! Full of nutrients, bright in colour and bursting with flavour!
I was quite surprised when adding up the nutritional values, that with my swaps, the soup came in at around 110 calories per serving! Both the hubby and I were impressed at how rich and filling this soup was for a lower calorie count!
The pumpkin puree definitely brings in the volume for this soup, along with fibre, and vitamins A and C .. hello antioxidant central!
Even though light coconut milk is thinner than it’s full fat and cream counterparts, when combined with the thick pumpkin puree, it gives the soup a rich, creamy consistency just the same! Using the light keeps the fat content and calories down per serving!
This is a perfect bowl of soup for a cold day and it takes no time at all to make! Win, win, win!
- ½ large onion, peeled, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon Red Thai Curry Paste (ensure this is gluten free if needed)
- 1¼ cups (305 g) canned pumpkin
- 1 Tablespoon minced ginger root
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, chopped
- 1½ cups vegetable broth (gluten free if needed)
- 1 cup light coconut milk (canned)
- ½ Tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Sauté onion in olive oil until soft. Add tomato paste, red curry paste, pumpkin, ginger, garlic, broth, and coconut milk. Combine until thoroughly heated through.
- Place mixture, lemon juice into your blender.
- Blend on low and slowly increase to the highest setting and blend for 30 seconds to 1 minutes on high or until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve garnished with green onion and a sprinkle of chili powder!
* Recipe adapted from Vitamix
Now… eeeeee! Squeal of excitement!! It’s time for the Giveaway!
This Giveaway is being put on by the amazing Organic Eats Magazine, and I’m a regular contributor to the mag which has given me the opportunity to be a part of the giveaway!
I feel SO happy to be able to share this AWESOME giveaway with all of your NITK fans!!!
So, up for grabs… not only the Vitamix which is 1st prize, but also… 2nd prize a KITCHENAID Stand Mixer, 3rd prize an OMEGA Juicer, and 4th prize a CUISINART Food Processor!!!
Seriously?! How awesome is that?!
There are many different ways to get entries to win – so enter, enter, enter to your hearts desire!