My very first post EVER on Nutritionist in the Kitch was Borscht! Baba’s Borscht to be exact!
I’ve got a huge sentimental attachment to this soup. It’s funny, as a kid when we would go visit my Baba I wouldn’t have anything to do with Borscht! The thought of the pink chunky soup did not seem appealing to me, and I wouldn’t even try it – it wasn’t until I was a little older I decided to give it a whirl, and it was love at first bite…or slurp!
Each year after that I would eagerly await going to visit my beautiful Baba and have some of her amazing borscht!
It wasn’t until my early 20’s that I decided to give it a go myself. It took many tries, and many different variations to get it right, but I finally did it with the Baba’s Borscht recipe!
I was staring at the beets in my fridge the other day and had an urge to make some borscht, but I wanted to change it up! I scanned the kitchen and spied my beloved Vitamix and figured it could be blended into a velvety delicious soup that had all the perfect flavors of borscht!
So, I went to work!
This recipe is actually SO simple! Beets, carrots, onion, garlic, dill, salt, pepper are the main components. Then for the ‘soup’ part – vegetable broth and unsweetened almond milk!
A little coconut palm sugar brings in that extra sweetness, and a little dab of tomato paste for thickness, and then a tad of lemon juice for acidity.
Vroom, vroom, vroom, in the blender! (…yeah that’s more like a car noise but I didn’t know how to put a blender noise into words… vroosooshhh?!)
The result – a ‘creamy’ but not acutally ‘creamy’, velvety, rich, deep red, dilly, tangy, and sweet soup.
This soup could not GET any healthier!
It’s packed with antioxidant and vitamin rich beets, carrots, and onions, immune-boosting garlic, bacteria-fighting dill, and more flavor than you could shake a stick at!
The flavor gets even more intense after a day or two in the fridge so try your best to save some leftovers!
As I sat there and enjoyed my soup I thought about my Baba (she’s no longer with us but I’m sure she was smiling down on me wishing she too, could have a little taste of my vegan blender borscht! …Although I imagine if you want it there’s probably an endless supply of borscht up there in the Heavens!).
Now I know I got to use my fancy shmancy Vitamix blender (BEST PURCHASE EVER!), but not to worry you can make this borscht using any run-of-the-mill blender and it will still turn out wonderfully!….
..but you should still go get a Vitamix…
..it will change your life!
(Once my blog is hip enough, and I have some real impact in the consumer community, I might just be able to do a Vitamix giveaway ….one day… fingers crossed!!!)
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ cups diced beets, steamed (I steamed my beets the day before!)
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock if you do not need vegan)
- 1 teaspoon coconut palm sugar
- ¼ cup fresh chopped dill
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Add oil to a large pan and heat at medium. Add in onions, garlic, carrots, salt, and pepper and sautee until soft, about 7 minutes.
- Add in cooked beets, dill, tomato paste, and coconut sugar and stir until everything is heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to blender, add in vegetable broth, lemon juice, and almond milk and blend on low, then slowly increase to the highest blending level, and blend until smooth.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if preferred.
- Garnish with a sprig of dill and almond/soy yogurt (vegan), greek yogurt or light sour cream(for non-vegan).
Have a lovely Thursday! 🙂
Nutritionist in the Kitch