The other day my Mom came over for a little visit! She had asked me to make her lunch as she wouldn’t have a chance to eat before and she wanted a “Nutritionist in the Kitch special”.
I was running low on groceries and perused my fridge to see what I could come up with!
I wanted to of course keep it healthy, balanced, and create a perfect little lunch that she would enjoy!
First I looked around for a good protein component. I didn’t have any leftover cooked chicken breast like usual, I was out of prawns, and the rest of my options would have needed thawing, so I saw the carton of eggs, and I’m never one to turn down eggs for lunch or dinner so I grabbed a little brown organic egg.
I then looked for a good healthy complex carbohydrate component to give Mom some energy to get through her busy day!
I thought of sweet potatoes, because I know how to make a mean sweet potato & egg scramble, but I needed something fast and the sweet potatoes take a little time to bake up. I then spied the Little Big Bread we had sitting in the fridge.
Ah ha! An egg sandwich!
But what else could I add to make this egg sandwich not just a plain boring egg sandwich?
I perused the fridge a little more and saw the jar of sundried tomatoes, the parmesan cheese, and the big fresh leaves of spinach!
Now not only did I have an egg sandwich to make, but a sundried tomato and spinach egg sandwich that would be grilled, with parmesan cheese!
So… a “grilled cheese” if you will!!
The sandwich came together wonderfully and my Mom had to wait patiently as I snapped pictures because I knew this was a recipe that had to be shared with you all!
Smoky tomatoes, sharp pungent parmesan, crisp spinach, and a creamy egg all melted together between two grainy slices of bread!
The sandwich was filling but not too big, and the protein from the egg, the fats from the yolk and parmesan, and the complex carbohydrates from the thin slices of Little Big Bread would keep Mom sustained for at least the next few hours in her busy afternoon!
I of course, for quality assurance purposes, had to test out the sandwich myself and I was uber impressed by the incredible flavors these 5 simple ingredients made when combined!
I think Mom was impressed too! 🙂
After years of home cooked meals on the table growing up made by this beautiful soul, it was the least I could do!
Love ya Momma!
- 2 slices sprouted grain bread (or gluten free bread, I used Silver Hills Little Big Bread)
- 1 tablespoon jarred (in oil) sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons grated light parmesan cheese
- ½ cup fresh spinach
- Heat a small non-stick pan at medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
- Cook the egg to desired doneness, I like mine medium, still a tad runny yolk.
- While the egg is cooking, chop the sundried tomatoes and spread with a little of the olive oil from the jar over one slice of bread, then top with the cooked egg.
- Top the egg with the parmesan cheese while it is still hot, and then top the cheese with the spinach.
- Place the other slice of bread on top to make a sandwich and place the sandwich in the hot pan.
- Grill on each side for 1-2 minutes or until browned.
Nutritionist in the Kitch