I must say, this recipe makes me a very, very happy girl!
I was always convinced that chili had to have beans, otherwise it just wouldn’t taste like chili! I LOVE the taste of chili, and I haven’t had it in quite a while because well… me and beans… we aren’t the best of friends. Actually, my brain and my tastebuds and beans are friends, but my finicky stomach ruins the relationship. Beans have just always been one of those foods that gives me grief so I generally avoid them, which means I also generally avoid chili!
But since this recipe, which totally has all the delicious flavors of chili, sans the beans, I can once again enjoy this delicious, warming, and comforting dish!
I happened across this recipe from Skinny Taste for No-Bean Turkey & Sweet Potato Chili! I adapted it slightly by adding Kale because of my compulsion to add as much nutritional value to my meals as humanely possible, and the result was amazing!
The chunks of sweet potato bring in that starchy goodness that the beans would usually provide, as well as fibre and antioxidants! The kale adds some more texture to the chill, and brings in calcium and cartenoids!
Turkey brings in the protein, and can easily be swapped out for lean ground chicken breast or extra lean ground beef or bison – OR for all my VEGAN LOVELIES out there… why not try some crumbled GMO-free extra firm tofu, or chopped Portobello mushrooms (they make a great hearty meat substitute!).
I loved how simple and quick this chili dish was to whip up!
Typically, when you think of chili, you think of a dish that takes a lot of time to simmer – and although this does produce flavorful results, this chili develops great flavour in under 30 minutes! Of course if you had the time you could let it simmer for hours!
I topped my chili with a big dollop of plain 0% fat Greek yogurt – my go-to sour cream substitute! Hearty, filling, well balanced, and perfect for a winter day, this chili will be a repeat dish for sure!
Are you a fan of No-Bean chili, or do you love the beans and won’t call it chili without them??
- 500g extra lean ground turkey (or ground chicken breast, extra lean ground beef or bison, OR for vegan - crumbled extra-firm (non GMO) tofu, or chopped Portobello mushroom!)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1½ cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1½ cups tomato sauce
- ¾ cup water
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1 cup chopped kale (70g)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced into small cubes (250g)
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- In a large skillet, brown turkey over medium-high heat, breaking it up as it cooks into smaller pieces and season with salt and cumin.
- When meat is browned and cooked through add onion and garlic; cook 3 minutes over medium heat. Add the diced tomatoes, sweet potato, tomato sauce, water, chili powder, paprika, salt and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until potatoes are soft and cooked through, about 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Add ¼ cup more water if needed.
- Add in chopped kale, and stir until kale is wilted.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Top with a dollop of fat-free plain Greek yogurt, and a sprig of cilantro!
*Recipe mildly adapted from Skinny Taste
Have a fantastic weekend, and a LONG weekend to those here in Canada! 🙂
Nutritionist in the Kitch