So last summer, this little place called “Tutti-Frutti” opened up close to our house…it’s a typical frozen yogurt joint. I’ll admit… I developed a bit of an obsession. Ok, a serious obsession.
I was hooked. I mean, who doesn’t like froyo?! It’s delicious! It wasn’t until I moseyed along to their website to look at the nutritional stats that I realized it was a whole lot of sugar… which I guess I DID already suspect, but I was enjoying my ignorant bliss for a while.
To say the least….I eventually decided to forgo the froyo, and skip on the refined sugars. 🙁
Recently, if you’ve been following my WIAW posts, you’ll see I do protein shakes with fruit that make kind of a frozen yogurt type consistency, and these have been my new treat! Much less sugar, and none of it refined at that!
So, last week I got to thinking. I wanted to skip on the protein powder and try to make a legit frozen yogurt that was free of refined sugars!
I had picked up a little bag of Wonderful shelled pistachios, and eyeing the pure almond extract I had in my cupboard… the light bulb turned on… could I make a healthy almond pistachio froyo?!?
HECK YES I could!!!
…and so I did!
The components are simple as can be, and worked perfectly together to make a flavorful, clean, green, almond pistachio froyo!
I used 0% fat plain Greek yogurt as the base, high in protein and no added sugars! Then I threw in some frozen banana for that extra creaminess and sweetness. I added in a small chunk of frozen spinach for that green hue, and a little extra nutrition, then I went with half of a small avocado which added in healthy fats and a little more green!
You can’t taste the avocado or spinach at all!
For sweetness I used stevia, but alternatively you could easily use raw honey. Then came the two key components for that almond pistachio flavor. Pure almond extract and… yup, you guessed it… pistachios! Then… and I don’t think you NEED this ingredient for this recipe to work, but it helps, I used a tiny bit of Bob’s Red Mill Xanthan Gum which works as a natural thickener.
In the blender it all went with some ice, and after some vigorous blending, a smooth creamy almond pistachio yogurt base was created. I poured it all into a loaf pan and popped it in the freezer to set.
A couple hours later… voila!
Creamy, dreamy, healthy, wholesome, naturally sweetened almond pistachio froyo!
Oh yes, it was just as delicious as it looks! Each cold, creamy, almondy, bite.
I sprinkled pistachios on the fro-yo before popping into the freezer and then added a few more once it was in the bowl, so with each bite I got a salty pistachio crunch. The perfect sweet with a little salty!
Oh, and another bonus, the serving size was HUGE! I ended up eating only half because it was so filling! So not only is this frozen yogurt, healthy, natural, and delicious, it also won’t break the calorie budget.
- ¾ cup 0% fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 medium banana, frozen into chunks
- 1 small nugget frozen spinach (15g) OR ½ cup raw spinach
- 1 oz avocado (about ¼ 1 medium avocado)
- 2 packets of steviaOR 2 tablespoons raw honey
- ¼ teaspoon pure almond extract (or more for a stronger almond flavor)
- ⅛ teaspoon xanthan gum (optional)
- 1 tablespoon pistachios, shelled (plus more for garnishing)
- 4-5 ice cubes
- In a blender or food processor, blend together yogurt, frozen banana, spinach, avocado, stevia, almond extract, xanthan gum, ice, and pistachios.
- You may need to pulse, and grind a few times (unless you have a fancy Vitamix in which case I am very jealous of you!)
- Once well blended, pour mixture into a loaf pan and sprinkle with pistachios (if you have an ice cream maker you can pour this mixture into your machine and finish according to manufacturers instructions)
- Freeze for 2-3 hours until firm enough to scoop with an ice cream scoop!
Nutritionist in the Kitch