So this past weekend, winter came. Official, white snow, icy roads, so-cold-you-need-a-parka, winter.
I have to admit it makes me a little sad – I’m not a fan of the cold, but it also makes me a little happy too because it’s kind of beautiful and nostalgic at the same time. This is because, well, CHRISTMAS IS COMING!
Christmas means all sorts of yummy flavours like peppermint, gingerbread, mulled apple, chocolate orange, and egg nog… actually, scratch the egg nog.. I hate egg nog… yuk!
So, naturally, it’s time to get some of those flavours going on the blog – I mean when is it really “too early” to start the Christmas cheer??
These delicious bars are a spin off my Chocolate-Coated-Gingerbread-Bliss-Balls… yeah, you need to check those out.
This time, instead of balls, I made bars – or “squares” if you will – and topped them with crunchy and delicious graham crackers – I used Annie’s Honey Grahams! They are a great version of graham crackers made with no artificial flavours, synthetic colours or synthetic preservatives!
For those of you who need gluten free – Oh She Glows has this great recipe for gluten free and vegan graham crackers!
I loved how the graham cracker crumbles gave the bars a delicious crunch and sweetness with the rich, chewy, and sticky bar beneath!
For the bars I kept it simple and healthy using raw walnuts, oats, raisins, dates, pure maple syrup, gingerbread spices, and of course, unsulphured molasses for that unmistakeable gingerbread flavour!
These bars are the perfect, healthy snack for mid-day or pre-workout – or an option for a healthier dessert treat!
I’d be brave enough to say these would even be healthy enough for… breakfast! Yep, breakfast – what’s not to love??
What’s your favourite way to enjoy the classic “gingerbread” favour in a healthier way?? …actual bread, or cookies, or a smoothie perhaps? Let me know, I’d love to hear!
- 1½ cups walnuts
- ¾ cup plain instant oats (GF if needed)
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon organic blackstrap molasses
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ½ cub crumbled graham crackers (use whichever brand you prefer, there are some great, and healthier gluten free options out there!)
- Soak the dates in warm water for 30 minutes, drain.
- Place the oats, walnuts, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg together in a food processor and blend until finely ground.
- Add the soaked dates and raisins and blend again about one minute more, until the mixture is well incorporated.
- Add the molasses and maple syrup and blend again for another minute or so.
- The mixture should be nice and sticky and hold together, if it is too dry add a few drops of water and mix again.
- With clean, wet hands, press the mixture into a 13 x 9 baking pan.
- Sprinkle with crumbled graham crackers and press lightly into mixture.
- Put in the freezer for 30 minutes to set.
- Cut into 24 squares or 12 bars. Enjoy!
Have a wonderful day!
Nutritionist in the Kitch