Stew.. soup… stew…soup…stew…chunky soup?!
I had a really hard time deciding whether this recipe should be called a soup or a stew. It’s broth based, but it’s so jammed packed full of goodness that it just didn’t seem right calling it a ‘soup’! So I decided on stew, and maybe it’s not ‘technically’ the right term.. but I’m stickin’ with it!
This stew is packed to the brim with delicious and healthy ingredients. It’s warming, flavorful, filling, and just perfect for a brisk Fall day!
Another plus – it’s EASY!
For this stew recipe I decided to cut on time and use a pre-cooked organic rotisserie chicken from the store rather than using raw chicken breast which would have taken a lot longer! I simply shredded up the chicken, chopped up some veggies, cooked up my sprouted rice and voila – 30 minutes later I had this healthy and hearty stew!
I took a picture of my little set-up in the top left – typical for when I’m making up recipes! My scale, iPad open to My Fitness pal to track the nutritional info, and the other necessary tools!
I was pleasantly surprised at how easy this stew came together and how flavorful it turned out using minimal ingredients!
It really reminded me of home-cooked chicken noodle soup… without the noodles, and a lot heartier!
I was kind of wishing I had a garden as I was making this stew because garden carrots and celery would have taken it to a whole new level!
There’s nothing more comforting than cooking a big batch of stew on a chilly day, and I’ve really been feeling that Fall chill in the air these past few days!
This stew freezes wonderfully which makes it a great ‘batch’ recipe! I actually whipped it up for my client who I’m delivering meals for, so now he will be set with yummy chicken stew to last a few meals! Great for taking to work for a healthy and filling lunch!
Don’t be suprised if my next recipe is Fall inspired too!
Tis’ the season of turning leaves, chunky sweaters, scarves, spiced teas and lattes, chilly mornings and early sunsets… and STEW!
- 11 oz cooked rotisserie chicken (preferably organic - both light and dark meat portions), shredded
- ¾ cup dry sprouted rice (I used Tru Roots sprouted rice quinoa blend, you could also use all quinoa, or just brown rice)
- 1½ cups water
- 2 cups organic chicken broth + 2 cups water (4 cups broth and no water) (be sure it's gluten free broth if necessary)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- ½ cup sliced crimini mushrooms
- ½ cup finely diced onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- In a rice cooker or a pot on the stovetop cook the sprouted rice (3/4 cup dry) with 1½ cups water. When cooked, set aside.
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven to medium heat and add in the olive oil.
- Add the garlic, celery, carrots, onion, parsley, thyme, and salt/pepper, and cook until softened.
- Add in the chicken broth and remaining 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and add in cooked shredded chicken and cooked sprouted rice.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, serve hot. Season with more salt and pepper if desired.
Have a wonderful rest of the week!
Nutritionist in the Kitch