I’m doing three things all at once here!
First of all, I want to highlight the fact that it is Celiac Awareness Month in Canada! Second of all, I’m posting an unbelieveably delicious, seems-super-indulgent-but-is-acutally-guilt-free, baked donut recipe, AND… wait for it… third, THERE IS ALSO A GIVEAWAY…
a giveaway… from BOB’s RED MILL!
Helloooo.. JACKPOT of a post, I’d say!
The Canadian Celiac Association has chosen the month of May this year to bring light and awareness to Celiac’s disease. It seemed not too long ago that nobody even knew what “gluten” was.. or what Celiac’s disease was for that matter.
Now, with all the research and discoveries into this disease, many people are finding relief for many health issues they experienced while still consuming gluten. It’s really life-changing for so many people who are inflicted with the disease!
Although there is no cure for Celiac’s disease, the disease can be readily treated by following a gluten-free diet.
I think it’s so great that there are so many companies out there, just like Bob’s Red Mill, who have decided to produce and provide safe product options for those with Celiac’s disease!
When I got connected with Bob’s Red Mill and then found out I was going to be getting a shipment of fantastic products to try out, I was thrilled!
Not only did Bob’s Red Mill send me all Gluten Free products (which I specifically requested as I have many gluten-free readers), they also offered to send a gift set of all Gluten Free products to the lucky winner of my Giveaway!
BIG thanks to Bob!
I’ve been using Bob’s Red Mill products for a long time now, and I am so excited to see how the company continues to expand and offer more and more great products! I originally fell in love with the 12-Grain Pancake Mix years ago, and now I have at least six, seven.. maybe even ten Bob’s Red Mill bags of flours, mix, flaxseed, or something else on my pantry shelves at all times!
When I got my goodies from Bob’s Red Mill in the mail, I was instantly drawn to the Gluten Free All Purpose Flour mix. I had never worked with this product before and I was ready to get baking right then and there!
The Gluten Free All Purpose Flour is what I used to make these delicious Chocolate & Coconut Baked Donuts!
I can’t even begin to say how much I love this flour. I’ve worked with many different whole grain flours and I wasn’t sure how this one, which is made of garbanzo bean flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, whole grain sweet white sorghum flour, and fava bean flour would hold up!
I must say, I was almost shocked at how light, airy, and fluffy these donuts turned out!
The baking process was a breeze, and I finally got to put my donut pan to use!
I find people always think that gluten free baking will just not taste as good as traditional baking, but these donuts alone can put that thought to rest for good!
To keep these donuts clean and healthy, along with the gluten free flour, I used stevia as the sweetener, whole organic eggs, raw cocoa powder, and extra virgin coconut oil.
No refined sugars, flours, or hydrogenated fats in these donuts… AND they are BAKED! Not like the traditional deep fried donut!
For the healthy chocolate icing/glaze, I adapted the recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie and used coconut oil, mashed bananas, and cocoa powder… that’s all!
You’d be shocked at how delicious the icing is with only those three ingredients! It’s fudgey, rich, and chocolaty!
Then to top it all off, I saw my Bob’s Red Mill unsweetened shredded coconut sitting in the pantry and I just knew that the coconut would take these donuts up just one more notch of deliciousness!
When all was said and done, I felt like it took me barely any effort to whip up these donuts, and I was incredibly pleased with the round, decadent, gluten free delights I had sitting in front of me!
Now, just one more added bonus, if you didn’t think these donuts were amazing enough already, each donut is siginificantly lower in calories, sugar, and carbs than the typical chocolate donut (and the typical chocolate donut uses white flour, white sugar, and hydrogenated fats!)
Chocolate Glazed Donut (from popular chain we will leave unnamed)
Calories = 260
Sugar = 20g
Carbs = 39g
GF Chocolate & Coconut Baked Donut with Chocolate Glaze (from yours truly)
Calories = 185
Sugar = 2g
Carbs = 14g
Take THAT Popular Donut Stops.. you know who you are!
Finally a donut that WON’T make you feel like your arteries are being clogged and little dimples of cellulite are appearing with each bite!
Nom. Nom. Nommmm.
Guilt-free, wholesome, clean eating, deliciousness!
- ¾ cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour (or another GF AP Flour of choice)
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup baking stevia or ¼ cup alternative sweetener (coconut palm sugar, cane sugar, etc.)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tablespoon raw cocoa powder
- 2½ tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk (brought to room temperature)
- 1 egg (brought to room temperature)
- For the Frosting:
- 1 tablespoon raw cocoa powder
- ½ ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- stevia to taste (optional.. for a little sweeter frosting)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine flour, xanthan gum, salt, baking stevia, baking powder, and cocoa powder.
- In another bowl, whisk together coconut oil, almond milk, and egg.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture in a few batches, stirring in between to combine. The mixture should be nice and smooth and somewhat thick.
- Grease a donut pan with olive oil spray (alternatively you could use a muffin pan, or a cake pan)
- Fill donut cavities about ⅔ full, and smooth the top of the mixture.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes until toothpicks pull clean.
- Allow to cool completely before removing from pan, follow with frosting.
- For the frosting:
- Mash the banana with the coconut oil until well combined.
- Warm in the microwave for 15 seconds.
- Stir warmed mixture for at least a minute, stirring constantly, the mixture will turn into a thicker, pasty consistency.
- Frost over cooled donuts.
- Sprinkle with unsweetened shredded coconut.
- Add in the cocoa powder and continue to stir until well incorporated.
Okay so, I think you all know the drill now, but just to refresh your memory…
To enter the Bob’s Red Mill Giveaway and have a chance to get your own totally awesome Gluten Free Gift Set all you have to do is click the link below which will take you to the entry screen. There you will find many different ways to enter and the more ways you enter the better chance you have of winning!
Good luck to you all!
This giveaway will be on until Sunday, May 26th at 11:59 pm so enter your little heart away and share, share, share!
Have a fantastic day!
Nutritionist in the Kitch
*The Bob’s Red Mill product(s) used for this recipe and post were provided to me by Bob’s Red Mill. Aside from the actual product(s) used to create the recipe, and the opinions/review of the product(s) are entirely my own (Christal of Nutritionist in the Kitch).