It’s S U N D A Y ! A perfect day for pancakes…am I right?!
I’ve got one amazing recipe for the simplest 3-ingredient sweet potato pancakes topped with a delicious, fresh, sweet, and tart roasted berry rhubarb compote.
Yep. That’s a whole lot of tastiness on one plate!
This past week in my weekly SPUD delivery, I got a nice batch of fresh, local, organic rhubarb. I haven’t had rhubarb in ages so I was itching to get in the kitchen and put it to good use.
Rhubarb is actually a vegetable but is typically prepared and enjoyed like a fruit! It’s quite tart, but with some cooking it’s natural sweetness blooms and it pairs perfectly with berries!
Rhubarb is also a nutritional powerhouse! It’s packed with vitamins, minerals, and has a great amount of dietary fibre. Good for your brain and your belly!
I chose to roast the rhubarb with a mix of raspberries and blueberries and a generous drizzle of raw honey to cut the tartness and keep the compote wonderfully sweet.
The compote turned out precisely how I had hoped it would – thick, sweet, and perfect for smothering all over my sweet potato pancakes!
Ah yes… on to the pancakes…
In my SPUD order I also bought a can of organic sweet potato puree! The puree worked wonderfully combined with a tiny bit of coconut flour and eggs to make a smooth batter for my pancakes.
I opted to use a few drops of stevia for a little extra sweetness, but I realized once the pancakes were topped with my berry rhubarb compote that I could have probably gone without, as the compote was sweet enough for the entire dish!
The one drawback of pancakes with sweet potato and coconut flour is that they take a few minutes to cook up in the pan, so patience is required – but trust me, they are well worth the wait!
This recipe combines ample amounts of fibre with healthy complex carbohydrates, antioxidants, natural sweetness, and only 7 ingredients in total!
That’s a win, win, win in my mind!
The hubby was close by as I prepared this batch of pancakes and was kind of enough to help me make my second little video! Have a peek and be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel!
Have you made sweet potato pancakes before? What do you put in them? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below!
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the rhubarb and berries over the pan and drizzle with the honey.
- Roast for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the pancakes by whisking the eggs in a bowl and stirring in the sweet potato puree and coconut flour until smooth. (add in the stevia or honey if you prefer)
- Heat a small non-stick pan over medium heat and oil the pan with coconut oil or cooking spray.
- Pour the batter into the pan and smooth, let each pancake cook for about 3 minutes before flipping.
- Repeat until the batter is finished. Makes about 6 pancakes.
- When the rhubarb and berries are finished roasting, remove the pan from the oven and mash the rhubarb with the berries and add to a bowl.
- Top the pancakes with ¼ cup of rhubarb compote and store any extra compote in a jar in the fridge for later use.
Have a beautiful Sunday!
Nutritionist in the Kitch