Eeeeee! Tomorrow is the 1st of December – which officially means Christmas music, Christmas shopping, Christmas baking… and all things Christmas for me. For some reason it takes me until December to get into that Christmas mood, but when the mood strikes, oh you better believe it strikes!
This recipe is totally December approved! Take oatmeal, fill it with all the delicious flavours of a gingerbread cookie, and bake it! Then enjoy it for breakfast… or lunch, or dinner – why not?!
Don’t worry though - this isn’t reaaally like having a gingerbread cookie for breakfast.. it’s healthy and full of good, nutrient rich ingredients!
Rolled oats and ground flaxseed bring in an ample amount of fibre, and the natural protein powder (if you choose to use it) brings up the protein content to 14g per serving!
Coconut palm sugar as the sweetener keeps blood sugar levels from spiking while giving this baked oatmeal just the right amount of sweetness, and the molasses is a fantastic source of magnanese, iron, and calcium. In fact, just one tablespoon of molasses provides 20% of the RDI of calcium!
Chopped dates and raisins also add a touch more of natural sweetness to this baked oatmeal, and the cinnamon and ginger bring in those staple gingerbread flavours we all love!
I cut the baked gingerbread into thick slices and enjoyed it with a tiny drizzle of pure maple syrup! This would also taste delicious heated broken up into a little bowl of unsweetened almond milk!
OR - store it in the fridge and take it as a cold snack to go – baked oatmeal ‘bars‘ if you will!
The great thing about this recipe is you can double or triple the recipe and make a great big batch. Just cut into portions and store in the freezer for a quick, easy, healthy, and FESTIVE breakfast!
- 1½ cups gluten free rolled oats
- 2 scoops (1/2 cup) natural vanilla protein powder (gluten free if needed - optional - if you do not want to use protein powder, use an additional ½ cup rolled oats)
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- ¼ cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond milk (or other milk of choice)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup chopped dates
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients, except for the coconut palm sugar.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg and add in the wet ingredients as well as the coconut palm sugar.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine. Fold in the raisins and the dates.
- Line an 8x8 or 9x5 inch pan with parchment paper.
- Pour batter into pan. Bake for about 25 - 30 minutes or until a toothpick pulls clean from the centre of the pan.
Have a wonderful rest of the weekend!
Here’s to a beautiful, joyful December!
Nutritionist in the Kitch