Remember a couple weeks ago when I posted a picture of these delicious Slow Cooker Philly Cheese Chicken Tacos?!
Well, I think you’ve all waited long enough for the recipe, wouldn’t you say!?
I was inspired by a pin I saw on pinterest to make these tacos with an adapted recipe from Food Family Finds for slow cooker philly cheese chicken on a hoagie, like the traditional cheese steak! I LOVE all things SLOW COOKER – and if you’ve seen my slow cooker pulled chicken or slow cooker apple pie oatmeal, you’d understand why!
Slow cooker = deliciousness!
Summer always puts me in the mood for tacos! It must be the heat and humidity, making me think of delicious tacos I’ve enjoyed in Mexico! I’ve made shrimp tacos which are still one of my faves, and jerk chicken tacos, another great contender, but these Philly Cheese Chicken tacos, are something totally new!
The mix of spices that bring in the traditional “Philly” taste, along with the onions, bell peppers, and ooey goeey melty cheese are essential!
The slow cooker then brings it all to the next level – taking it’s sweet time to cook, and slowly simmer the chicken to a tender, pull apart, consistency, that is so fitting for a healthy, simple, corn flour tortilla shell!
I assembled the tacos and had to snap a few pics to document the deliciousness before the cheese smothered it all – and as you can see, the peppers, onions, chicken, and spices all soften and meld together to make the perfect taco filling.
One great point to mention, is everything in these tacos is clean, wholesome, natural, and good-for-you – herbs, spices, veggies, natural (free-range, organic if possible is best!) chicken, and the simple locally made corn tortillas I just love!
To keep it light, and healthier, I used partly-skimmed mozzarella cheese! This cuts down on saturated fat, calories, and if you go for an all natural, organic cheese you also avoid any yukky additives, preservatives or colorants!
These tacos sure hit the spot, and they were a big win with the hubby! What hubby out there doesn’t enjoy Philly Cheese Steak?! (ok, maybe not vegan ones – and nothing wrong with that!) but my hubby does, so these were a perfect healthy substitution to a not-so-healthy classic!
I really enjoyed the simplicity of the tacos, and each component was detectable with each and every bite!
I’m typically all for loading tacos with salsa, avocado, beans, cheese, green onion, cilantro, lettuce, more beans, more salsa, Greek yogurt… etc. etc. but for these, the cheese topper was all they needed!
We had slow cooker chicken leftovers and the hubby took it for lunch the next day with quinoa instead of in the taco shells! Versatile and delicious!
I plan to make a big batch of this again soon and portion it for freezer meals! Perfect for saving time, or those nights when I just don’t want to cook!
- 1 cup thinly sliced white onion
- 2 cups thinly sliced green bell pepper (I used yellow too!)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, kept whole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tsp EACH – paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, dried majoram, dried basil, salt, and pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 8 small corn flour soft tortilla shells
- 4oz shredded or sliced part skim mozzarella
- In a small bowl combine all spices.
- Add olive oil to slow cooker and turn to high heat.
- Add onions, green peppers and garlic.
- Place chicken breasts overtop of vegetables and season with spice mix.
- Add in worcestershire sauce.
- Cover and cook for 3-4 hours. Check after 3 hours, when chicken is done it will “pull apart” with a fork.
- Serve mixture over taco shells and layer ½ oz part skim mozzarella cheese on each taco.
*Recipe adapted from Food Family Finds
From the super hot, spectacular weather of the BC Shuswap Lake,
Nutritionist in the Kitch