Do you have 10 minutes to make a delicious lunch or dinner? If the answer is yes, then this is a recipe for you! 10 minutes is all this beautiful, colorful, super nutritious rice bowl took me to whip up the other week! I also would like to introduce you to my new love affair… Kale. Sorry sweet potatoes, I still love you, but Kale is kind of a big deal to me right now.
Why?! Whyyyy, have I never tried cooking with Kale before this?? I had known about it, but a bad experience with Kale chips that a friend of mine made for me a long time ago (they turned out burnt and seriously gross tasting) left me with a bad impression on Kale.
I’m so sorry Kale, that was really unfair of me to judge you like that because seriously, you’re amazing.
The kale, when cooked up with the spicy Thai peanut sauce, sops up all the delicious flavor!! Then, the added crunch of the broccoli slaw, and the saltiness of the sunflower seeds, on top of a fluffy bed of brown rice…Mmm just lovely!
Pure energy-giving, nourish-you-to-the-core food!
So let’s talk about this wonderful little leaf we call Kale. First of all, Kale is a nutrient powerhouse!! High in vitamins A, C, and K, and full of antioxidants, this lettuce-like green packs a punch. It’s also super low in calories, yet contains a good amount of fiber, and helps to detoxify the liver! It’s versatile in that it can be served in salads, added to soups, used in pastas, stir-fry’s, and even green smoothies (see my Fave Five at the end of the post!).
I’ve seriously been eating this Kale stuff on a daily basis. I just love it! With the high amount of protein I am taking in each day while doing the 12-week fit challenge, it is really important that I am also eating easily digestible foods as high protein intake can sometimes cause my tummy some grief. So, Kale has been a saving grace as it works wonders with my digestive system!
Also, like I’ve mentioned many times before, I LOVE color. Bright, beautiful, alive colors in my meals, and this emerald green Kale just makes this dish pop!
Is it kind of weird how I think food is beautiful?? Hmm.. maybe, but I don’t care! It really is soooo pretty!
- 4 cups chopped Kale
- 2 cups packaged broccoli slaw
- 2 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 3 tablespoons creamy natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon crushed chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger or 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- ½ packet powder stevia (optional) OR 1 teaspoon of coconut palm sugar
- 2-4 tablespoons water
- Whisk together sauce ingredients until smooth (add more water to get a thinner sauce consistency)
- Heat a non stick pan or wok at medium heat.
- Add kale and broccoli slaw. Cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes, or until
- vegetables are crisp-tender, the kale has wilted, and they are coated in the sauce.
- Serve over hot cooked brown rice (or quinoa) and sprinkle with the sunflower seeds.
Fave Five Friday: Kale Recipes
Now that I’ve talked up all the health benefits and wonders of Kale to you, here are some other amazing recipes that all take a different twist on this wonder leaf! Check them out!
Have a wonderful, healthy, and happy weekend!!
Nutritionist in the Kitch