Sweet Potato & Avocado Egg Scramble… and Fave Five Friday.. Breakfast for Dinner recipes! ….Why not?!
I made this egg scramble for dinner the other night… yup, that’s right, I had it for dinner!
Who says eggs have to be only a breakfast thing?!
This was a delicious, filling, hearty, and super nutritious dinner, and I guarantee if you had had it for dinner too, you would totally agree with me!
I’ve also been having a major love affair with sweet potato lately. I can seriously eat it every. single. day.
… and I have been…so much so, that I’m not kidding you, I actually dreamt about sweet potato the other night.
Yeah, weird, I know.
But it’s just so GOOD!!!! It’s sweet, rich, filling, and tastes good in anything. You can put it in a savory dish or you can make a pie out of it! It’s also super duper good for you. Sweet potato is high in vitamins C, D, E and B, it is a fantastic source of fiber, it is also known to have natural anti-inflammatory properties and it is low on the glycemic index despite it’s delicious sweet flavor!
My favorite part about the sweet potato in this dish, is that when it is roasted, the natural sugars will slowly caramelize in the oven leaving you with a very sweet, crispy outer crust and a soft inside… yum!!!
Paired with the avocado, veggies, and eggs… this dish is a well rounded, balanced meal! Healthy fats, lots of vitamins and minerals, fiber, and protein. What more could you ask for???
Oh, and isn’t it so pretty and colorful! That’s how food should be, and how every meal should look. Naturally bright, bursting with color, and full of nutrients!
When I make a meal I always try to “eat the rainbow”… (and I don’t mean skittles here)… I try to get as many different colors in my dish from different vegetables and nutrient rich foods!
Because seriously… who likes to eat “beige”? Yuk.
I can think of many fast food meals that fall under the “brown and beige” category and well it’s just boring.. and gross.
Another plus with this dish is that it’s really easy. Once the sweet potatoes are roasted to perfection, the dish comes together super quick. The eggs scramble up quickly with the veggies, and then topped with the chopped avocado and some green onion… Ta-Da!
Dinner (or lunch, or breakfast) is served!
We are in the midst of week 7 of our 12-Week Fit Challenge…(seriously it’s flying by!!), and it just makes me so happy that THIS is the type of food I get to eat! I look forward to my delicious and nutritious meals each day, and all it requires is just a little creativity!
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced into large cubes (makes about 1½ cups)
- Olive oil spray
- 8 egg whites
- ½ avocado, diced
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 green onion, diced
- ½ cup yellow bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking pan with olive oil cooking spray. Place the diced sweet potato on the baking pan and season lightly with salt.
- Roast for 15 minutes, then flip and roast for an additional 10 minutes, until browned on the sides.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Heat a non-stick pan at medium to high heat and spray lightly with olive oil spray. Add in onion and cook, stirring constantly for a few minutes until softened. Add in yellow bell pepper and cook a couple more minutes.
- Add in egg whites and cook for 5-7 minutes. Add in garlic powder, and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Stir in cherry tomatoes to just heat and soften then skin.
- When tomatoes are heated through, toss the sweet potatoes in the pan and combine all ingredients well.
- Remove from heat, and top with diced avocado and green onion.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
Fave Five Friday: Breakfast for Dinner Recipes
Now… because it is FRIDAY, it’s time for the FAVE FIVE! I’ve decided to go with my five favorite “Breakfast for Dinner” recipes I’ve come across in the blogosphere! They may bend the traditional rules of what you might call “breakfast” or “dinner” , but that’s what makes eating exciting, and why-the-heck not change it up a little now and then?!
Here they are:
Have a great weekend!
Nutritionist in the Kitch