We are only a day away from New Years Eve celebrations!! If you are having a little get together these tarts are a perfect crowd pleaser dessert that won’t derail the New Years resolutions!!
I got the recommendation for this dessert from one of my lovely clients after she had tried the Frozen Pumpkin Pie Dessert I made a couple weeks ago!
These Key Lime Tarts use almost the same ingredients for the crust! As I mentioned in that post, this crust is totally versatile and can be used for tarts, cheesecake, dessert bars, pies, etc. It’s splendid!
These tarts are rich, creamy, tangy, and totally satisfy a hankering for something sweet and cold! The lime flavor comes through just enough to give them a fresh flavor without seeming too rich.
And just how are these “rich & creamy” tarts “dairy free”??
Avocados! Yep. Avocados. You would really never guess though because the avocado taste is pretty much undetectable, it just lends to the luscious, silky, texture of the top limey layer!
The avocados also give these tarts their beautiful green shade, and not to mention the healthy omega fatty acids that avocados are known so well for. This really is a “beautifying dessert”!!
The date, coconut, and walnut crust is a “power crust’ lending protein, fiber, omega fatty acids, and many vitamins and minerals. I used raw unpasteurized honey and stevia to sweeten the filling – this takes away the avocado taste! Then I topped them off with a thin slice of kiwi – just to add that extra flair!
These tasty tarts come in at only 192 calories each! That’s pretty darn good for such a rich tasting dessert! No refined sugars or flours, no gluten, and no dairy! Just pure healthy deliciousness!
I hope everyone has a wonderful New Years celebration! Stay safe and I look forward to bringing you even more amazing recipes and healthy food inspiration in 2013!
There are so many exciting additions I have planned for the blog this next year, I can’t wait to take Nutritionist in the Kitch to the next level!! Thank you to everyone who has been following and supporting my blog – I feel truly blessed to be able to share my passion with all of you and inspire others to live a healthier life!
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut, shredded
- 1 cup walnuts
- ½ cup pitted dates (soaked in warm water for 30 minutes)
- 2½ firm avocados
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoons lime zest
- ¼ cup raw honey
- 4 packets stevia (optional)
- Grease a 12-muffin tin, set aside.
- Place the coconut and walnuts in a food processor. Blend until coarsely ground. Add the dates and process until the mixture begins to stick together. Press about 1½ tablespoons of the mixture into the bottom of each cup, about ¼ full.
- Process all filling ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Pour 1 heaping tablespoon of the filling into each muffin cup. Smooth the top.
- Garnish with a fresh slice of kiwi or a very thin slice of lime.
- Freeze for 30-60 minutes to set.
Enjoy & HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Nutritionist in the Kitch