I was feeling a little chilled and run down one day last week, and wanted to come home to a nice warm bowl of something delicious, comforting, and healthy… instantly Tortilla Soup came to mind! I also didn’t want to spend an hour making it – so I made a quick stop at Planet Organic and picked up an organic/free range half rotisserie chicken, a few other ingredients I needed and made my way through the blistery winter cold to go make me some soup!
From start to finish this soup took me about 20 minutes – it’s seriously so fast and easy. Using an already cooked rotisserie chicken cuts down on the cooking time and gives you the shredded, tender, pulled chicken consistency that works so well in this soup. The ingredients are minimal and simple but all come together to create amazing flavor.
This soup is surprisingly low in calories and saturated fat! Chicken is a great lean protein, containing less than half the amount of calories as beef per ounce. This is because it is much lower in fat content! The rest of the soup is all veggie goodness; crushed tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers. The garlic is a great addition for not only flavor, but garlic is also one of the best natural anti-boitics and anti-virals in nature -so it works very well to ward off that nasty flu! The garnishes, which could be perceived as “high calorie” foods, are actually perfect in moderation as a little garnish on top – avocado, crushed tortilla chips, and shredded cheese!
I gobbled up a serving of this soup while it was still hot and the cheese got nice and melty on top. It left me feeling warm, full, and much better in no time! So, if you only have 20 minutes for dinner tonight – here’s a delicious and very healthy recipe you can make in a pinch!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 15 ounces roasted chicken breast, shredded (rotisserie chicken works great)
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder
- 900 mL fat-free, less-sodium organic chicken broth
- 1 – 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup coarsely crushed baked organic tortilla chips
- ½ cup preshredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 6 lime wedges (about 1½ limes)
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a nonstick Dutch oven on medium-high. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in cumin, chili powder, broth, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken to the soup and simmer 3 minutes or until heated through. Stir in cilantro.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls; top with crushed tortilla chips, cheese, and diced avocado. Serve hot, with a lime wedge on the side.
Nutritionist in the Kitch