“Mmmmmm… they totally taste like Eatmore Bars!!” said my hubby, and the name was born. Healthy ‘Eatmore’ Fudge Squares, because that describes them perfectly. A chewy, yet crunchy, sweet, chocolaty bottom, topped with a rich, fudgey (is that a word?!), decadent, chocolaty layer, cut into a perfect little four bite square. YUM.
This recipe is a perfect ‘I-need-a-little-treat-but-don’t-want-to-actually-have-a-bad-treat’ treat! The squares are made with minimal ingredients, all natural and all good for you; nuts, unsweetened cocoa powder, dates, pure raw honey, almond butter, and banana. That’s it, that’s all – no flour, no refined sugars, no chemicals, no additives, no CRAP! Just good whole food to put you in a really good mood!
I made these squares in about 15 minutes flat, after letting the dates soak for about half an hour (this step is optional but makes the bottom layer come together easier), and then popped the tray in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
I still have some hanging out in the freezer, even though I made this batch a couple weeks ago, and they still taste as good as they did the day I made them – they don’t actually freeze solid, they stay nice and firm, but easy to bite into, and soften up in about a minute at room temperature.
The only drawback of these squares, is that at room temperature for too long they will melt and become a bit of a mess – so keeping them chilled is the key!
The hubby ate about 6 the night I made them, so be careful, they are really tasty, and although made with whole, unprocessed ingredients, they still do have about 140 calories a pop! Keep moderation in mind and enjoy one or two at a time
It’s so awesome to know that healthy desserts CAN be made, and enjoyed, and still taste amazing. I love seeing healthy alternatives to typical unhealthy dessert ingredients!
No more do cakes, cupcakes, brownies, pies, and squares need to be made with white sugar or white flour, shortening, or other processed garbage!!! The internet has a plethora of healthy baking alternatives… so no excuses!!
Ok, I will step off my pedestal… so you can go make these!!
- 1 cup pitted dates
- ½ cup almonds, unsalted
- ½ cup walnuts, unsalted
- ¼ cup + ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ripe bananas
- 4 tbsp natural almond butter
- 4 tbsp unpasteurized honey
- Put dates in a bowl with warm water, allow dates to soak for 30 minutes, then drain.
- Mix together dates, almonds, walnuts, and ¼ cup cocoa powder in a food processor until well blended.
- Spread mixture in a 9×5 baking pan until evenly distributed, and press down gently with a spoon.
- Mix together bananas, almond butter, honey, and other ¼ cup cocoa powder in the food processor until well blended.
- Spread mixture over bottom layer until evenly distributed.
- Place in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Cut into 16 squares. Re-freeze whatever you don’t eat and enjoy at another time!