Meatless Monday: Half-Hour Veggie Chili
This was not originally going to be today’s Meatless Monday recipe as I was planning on something different, but yesterday the hubby and I were running around doing errands, it was freezing cold and we both simultaneously said “I’m craving chili!!” …and thus, the plans were changed!
We also made a quick stop at Ikea during the day and I picked up this little winter snowflake bowl and tray set. As I looked at the little bowl and tray and contemplated my purchase, the little bowl looked up at me with it’s snowflake eyes and said “Christal! Fill me with delicious vegetarian chili!”.
No, I was not on some crazy acid trip, I just imagined that that is what the little bowl would say if it could talk. Lol!
So, I bought it, and filled it with delicious Half-Hour Veggie Chili!
I use this chili recipe a lot in client meal plans because…
a) it is incredibly quick and easy to make… it isn’t called “half-hour chili” for nothing!
b) it is full of fiber, very filling, yet surprisingly low in calories!
c) it is darn delicious!
The first time you make this chili it might be more like a “45-minute chili”, but once you get the hang of it, it really comes together in half an hour! Not bad for a hearty chili!
Keeping this recipe meatless cuts down on saturated fat and calories, but protein is not sacrificed because the beans and quinoa are both a great source of protein!
The recipe does call for canned ingredients, so when buying canned beans be sure to check the ingredients label and make sure there is no “Disodium EDTA” a common preservative added to canned goods. Though deemed safe in small amounts, EDTA can cause harmful side-effects in larger amounts and I just like to stay away from scary additives like that!
Most organic brands such as Eden Organics do not contain this additive, but it’s always a good idea to check the label just to be sure!
This chili is warming, flavorful, and a perfect dish to enjoy on a cold winter day. A great dinner that the whole family will enjoy, and the recipe will also leave you with enough leftovers to take for lunch the next day! So, if you’ve been in a chili mood lately, but don’t have the time to make one that takes a few hours, problem solved! Half-Hour Veggie Chili to the rescue!
Enjoy, and have a wonderful Meatless Monday!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, choped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeño pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 28-ounce can plus one 14-ounce can whole tomatoes, chopped, with juices
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt for garnish
- ⅓ cup chopped green onion for garnish
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions, carrot, bell pepper, jalapeño, garlic, chili powder to taste and cumin. Cook, stirring often, until the onions, bell pepper, and carrot are soft, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with their juices and salt; cook for 5 minutes over high heat. Reduce heat to low; stir in beans and cooked quinoa. Simmer until the chili is thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Garnish with yogurt and green onion, if desired.