Avocado & Spiced Hummus Sandwich
I’m a big fan of sandwiches…but it has to be my type of sandwich for me to love it.
I don’t do white bread or deli meat, bologna, cheese slices, or pastrami. Those are not my type of sandwiches. My type of sandwiches are hearty, always on whole grain bread, with lots of veggies, and interesting flavors. Colorful, unique, delicious sandwiches!
This recipe was inspired by one that I came across on pinterest, which was actually in wrap form. It caught my eye right away and I knew I had to make it! I decided to alter the recipe, as per usual, and make it into a sandwich instead, and oh, did it turn out perfectly.
This recipe is fantastic because it is so easy to make and full of amazing flavors, it definitely takes the idea of a plain old sandwich to a totally new level.
The hummus adds a nice dose of protein, and the avocado lends the omega 3 fatty acids. The carrots and whole grain bread provide ample amounts of fiber, and the tomato throws in a dose of vitamins!
The vinaigrette is really what puts the “cherry on top” for this sandwich as it adds a refreshing, light, and tangy flavor that makes you go “mmmm.. what is that?!” when you bite into this delicious sammy.
I actually made this sandwich twice over the weekend because it was so good! If you aren’t a huge sandwich fan you could easily put everything into a wrap instead, or for those who need to go gluten free, try a lettuce wrap (or GF bread/wrap!).
I would even go far enough to say this would be great as a rice bowl or quinoa bowl too – take all the ingredients that go in the sandwich and pile them onto some rice or quinoa, then dress with the vinagrette! The possibilites really are endless!
- 4 pieces whole grain bread
- ½ avocado, peeled and sliced into thick strips
- 1 medium tomato, sliced thick
- ½ small sweet onion, sliced
- 4 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Tbsp light hummus
- ½ tsp crushed chili peppers/chili powder
- ½ cup shredded or julienned carrots
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper
- Slice your avocado in half. Rub the extra half with lime juice, cover and stick in the fridge for later use. Remove the pit and slice into long thick strips. Set aside in a bowl and coat in lime juice and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Slice your onion, carrots, and tomato. Place in separate bowl and toss with the EVOO, maple syrup, splash of lime juice and apple cider vinegar.
- Grab your hummus, and mix in the chili pepper/powder.
- Toast your bread.
- Spread a nice amount of hummus onto the toast.
- Layer the avocado, a few slices of tomato, onion, shredded carrots, cilantro, and a pinch of pepper. You can add an extra splash of the veggie marinade juices (maple/EVOO/lime) if preferred.
*recipe adapted from Lunch Box Bunch
Nutritionist in the Kitch