Pumpkin Granola Yogurt Parfait
It is true, Fall is upon us! So why not embrace it and make something delicious with the flavors of the season!
In my Pinterest browsing I kept coming across yummy looking pumpkin recipes, but not many with a good grade in the healthy department! So I decided to attempt a parfait, and it turned out wonderfully!
For this recipe I used canned pumpkin puree… not pumpkin pie puree… I must admit I did stand in the grocery store with a can of each (regular puree and “pie ready” puree) in my hands contemplating, but alas, the healthier option won in my internal conflict.
Pumpkin puree is just that, pureed pumpkin pulp, and I flavored it on my own using pure maple syrup, pear, ground nutmeg, and cinnamon… much healthier than the pie puree which has as much as 10g of sugar in 2 tbsp!
I used plain 0% Greek yogurt and organic nut granola to layer with the pumpkin, and topped the parfait with another dollop of the yogurt and the cinnamon.
I do not have a very big sweet tooth, so the flavors were just perfect for me, but the hubby said he would have preferred the parfait with vanilla yogurt instead of plain, so that is always an option too if you prefer it a little sweeter (but be warned, you’ll also be getting the extra sugar that flavored yogurt has!).
In case you are wondering, that IS a subway art piece that I used as a “placemat” for my parfait! When you run out of tea towels you have to get creative! Plus! It fits with the Europe theme I will be using over the next month when we are there on our trip! I hope to see all the places in London on that canvas!
- 1 can pumpkin puree (unsweetened)
- 2 small pears, over ripe
- 2-3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup plain 0% Greek yogurt (or vanilla if preferred)
- 1 cup granola (I used organic nut granola, lightly sweetened)
- Peel and dice the pears, put into a food processor.
- Add the pumpkin, maple syrup, nutmeg and cinnamon to the food processor and mix until the pear is blended and the mixture is well combined.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into a bowl and chill for 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, layer the pumpkin mixture with yogurt and granola into 3 bowls. Each serving is made with approx. ½ cup puree, ⅓ cup yogurt, and ⅓ cup granola.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of ground cinnamon.
Nutritionist in the Kitch