Raspberry Goat Cheese Swirl Brownies
I was contemplating wether or not I should actually put “black bean” in the title of this recipe, because honestly, if you made these, gave them to your husband, and said you made yummy fudgy brownies… he would never know they were made of black beans… ever, and you would get away with secretly feeding him something healthy with lots of fiber and no refined sugar…
Ok. So I may or may not have done that to Justin. Eventually I came clean and told him what they were made of, and he honestly couldn’t believe it!! These brownies are THAT good, and you cannot whatsoever taste the beans! So I decided on “Raspberry Goat Cheese Swirl Brownies”…has a nice ring to it I think!
I know, I know, black bean brownies are nothing new. There are tons of recipes for this sneaky brownie, but THESE, top them all. That may sound a little overzealous of me, but really, they ARE the best. I adapted this recipe from two different recipes I found online, then added my “Christal modifications” to them!
They key to these brownies is the Raspberry Goat Cheese Swirl. Doesn’t that just sound nice? “Raspberry Swirl”. Mmmm. And it looks amazing too, great for pictures!
Although I wouldn’t go as far to say that you could eat as many as you like of course, (everything in moderation) but for a dessert, these really are quite high on the good-for-you scale. They do not contain any refined sugar or flour, are low in natural sugars (only 6g per brownie!) and they are a great source of fiber and protein! These brownies are also gluten free which is nice for those who cannot eat gluten! The goat cheese swirl is a delicious and light addition to the brownie that adds that little “somethin’ somethin’” that makes it really stand out from regular black bean brownies.
I am generally new to baking so I was surprised at how easy these brownies were to make. Although the recipe seems complicated at first glance, trust me, it’s a breeze!
Now go make these delectable treats and rate my recipe !
Nutritionist in the Kitch
- 1¾ cups black beans (no salt added)
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup honey
- 3 lightly beaten eggs
- ¼ cup bittersweet chocolate, chopped up
- 2 ounces light cream cheese
- 1 ounce room-temperature goat cheese
- 1 teaspoon room-temperature butter (optional)
- 1 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup frozen raspberries, thawed slightly and mashed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8×8 pan.
- Begin by making the brownie base. Place beans, coconut oil, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla extract and honey into a blender/food processor, and blend until smooth.
- Fold in the chocolate and eggs.
- Pour mixture into the pan.
- Next, make the swirl mixture.
- Place cream cheese, goat cheese, butter, maple syrup and vanilla in a bowl.
- Blend with a hand blender, or whisk strongly by hand, until mixture is well blended and smooth.
- Spoon cheese mixture onto the top of the brownie base (it doesn’t have to be an even layer).
- Gently crush the raspberries with your hands, and add them on top of the cheese layer.
- Take a knife and gently swirl the layers in the pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes.