Think watermelon. What’s the next word you think of? Summer! Well, at least I do anyways! Watermelon is one of my favorite summer treats, so when I first heard of this salad combination (shout-out to my good pal Keynon for introducing me)… watermelon, feta, red onion?! I was like whoa, what are you doing to my precious watermelon?? Well, since the first time I actually had this type of salad, I was hooked! It is so refreshing, the flavors work perfectly, and it is incredibly easy to put together!
I found a few different other recipes with twists on this combination, and I think this is the perfect one! The light refreshing watermelon, salty feta, aromatic basil, spicy red onion, and soft subtle tomatoes…perfection! Do I have your interest peaked yet?!
Salads are usually a great choice for a snack, light lunch, or accompaniment to your favorite main! However, some salads can be on the not-so-healthy side, with heavy dressings, and other high calorie ingredients. I worked in the restaurant industry for years and always thought it was so funny when someone would order a “salad, to be healthy” and not realize that the one they ordered had a whopping 1,500 calories!! No joke. This salad however, IS light, low cal, and something to be confident about!
Don’t these pictures just make you want to have a picnic, tomorrow, with this delicious salad as the feature?! Don’t mind if I do!
Nutritionist in the Kitch
- 2 cups watermelon, cut into small chunks
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup of fresh basil, cut into ribbons
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup red onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut watermelon and tomatoes, slice the onion, and chop the basil.
- In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper.
- Combine watermelon, tomato, red onion, and basil in a large bowl, and toss with dressing to coat.
- Crumble feta over top and mix together.