I came across this recipe a while ago and thought what a great snack or in-a-rush breakfast idea! He and She Eat Clean is the blog that I stumbled upon with this wonderful recipe, and I couldn’t wait to make these little egg delights!
They are so easy to put together and a great healthy choice. Using egg whites and only a portion of the yolks really helps to cut down on the fat and calories, and loading these little muffins with veggies gives them that extra nutritional boost! The house smelt amazing after I made these, and I couldn’t help but eat a couple as soon as they came out of the oven!
The rest of the egg muffins I popped in the fridge and Justin and I munched on them during the week as a quick snack or breakfast! They tasted just as great cold too, believe it or not!
- Olive Oil Spray (Pure Olive Oil)
- 4 scallions (or green onions), minced
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1/2 red bell pepper, minced
- 14 egg whites
- 4 whole eggs
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1 slice partly skimmed mozzarella cheese, or 1/4 cup shredded
- Dash of sea salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 12-muffin tin with a small amount of olive oil spray to prevent sticking.
- Combine vegetables in a big bowl. Fill each muffin tin 2/3 full with vegetables.
- Whisk eggs and seasonings in a large mixing bowl.
- Use a 1/3-measuring cup for the egg mixture and pour slowly into each muffin tin. Egg mixture should fill tin the rest of the way. Top each cup with a sprinkle of cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until muffins have risen and are slightly browned.
- Serve or keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days and grab as snacks to go!
To make these muffins even more filling and more of a meal deal, next time I plan to use a jumbo muffin tin and add a couple tablespoons of cooked quinoa to each muffin! This alteration would up the protein and add some extra energy in the form of healthy complex carbohydrates!
Nutritionist in the Kitch